'The Muppets: Original Soundtrack' track list revealed
"The Muppets: Original Soundtrack" track list was revealed on Monday and includes artists like Joanna Newson, Feist, Andrew Bird and Nathan Pacheco.
The soundtrack is due for release on November 21 on Walt Disney Records, days before the film hits theaters on November 23. Bret McKenzie of HBO's "Flight of the Conchords" served as the music supervisor for the soundtrack, which includes four of his original songs.
According to Billboard magazine, McKenzie wrote "Life's a Happy Song," which was performed by Jason Segel, Amy Adams, the new muppet Walter, Feist and Mickey Rooney; "Let's Talk About Me," sung by Chris Cooper and Pacheco; "Man or Muppet" sung by Segel and Walter; and "Me Party," which features Adams and Miss Piggy.
The film's other original track, "Pictures in My Head" was performed by the Muppets and written by Jeannie Lurie, Aris Archontis and Chen Neeman.
The Muppets also performed several covers for the film, including Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Cee Lo Green's "Forget You" and new versions of the Muppet classics "Rainbow Connection" and "The Muppet Show Theme," which features guest vocals by Joanna Newsom.
The Muppets did another indie music collaboration in August entitled, "Muppets: The Green Album," which was a collection of popular "Muppets" songs sung by bands and artists such as Weezer and Evanescence singer Amy Lee and is available as a digital download on iTunes.
The Muppets are a group of puppets the late Jim Henson created in the mid-1950s, which include Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and the rowdy "Animal". They starred in several of their own television shows throughout the years and the franchise has also spurred several films.
The theme song for "The Muppet Show," which ran between 1976 and 1981, is also featured on "Muppets: The Green Album" and is covered by alternative rock band OK Go, which puts an electronica twist on the track's original variety show sound. Its music video features familiar Muppet faces, including Kermit, Swedish Chef and dry-humored hecklers Statler and Waldorf (see below).
Segel, who also co-wrote the movie's script, told OnTheRedCarpet.com that it was his R-rated comedy "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" that inspired him to revive the "Muppets" franchise for his upcoming film.
"I have a very child-like side that has never gone away," Segel told OnTheRedCarpet.com at Disney's D23 Expo on August 20. "If you look back at 'Sarah Marshall,' which granted, is an R-rated movie, it ended with that lavish puppet musical, which was in some ways the genesis for this movie for me. So, I've always had that in me. I'm an R-rated dude, but I trick them into putting a puppet musical into it - I know what I'm doing."
The movie "The Muppets" also stars Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Mickey Rooney, British funnyman Ricky Gervais, Charles Grodin and television chef Rachael Ray. Alan Arkin, Mila Kunis, Jack Black, Katy Perry, Whoopi Goldberg, Billy Crystal, Wanda Sykes and Neil Patrick Harris, who stars with Segel on the CBS comedy series "How I Met Your Mother."
Check out an extended track listing for "The Muppets: Original Soundtrack" below.
1. 1. The Muppet Show Theme - The Muppets
2. "Muppet Studios, I Can't Believe It" - Walter
3. Life's A Happy Song" - Mickey Rooney
4. "I Haven't Seen The Old Gang" - Jason Segel
5. "Pictures In My Head" - Gonzo
6. "We Drive" - Walter
7. "Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard" - Paul Simon
8. "That Spells Reno" - Amy Adams
9. "Rainbow Connection" (Moopets Version) - The Moopets
10. "Welcome Back" - Fozzie
11. "We Built This City - Starship
12. "Party Of One" - Amy Adams
13. "Me Party" - Miss Piggy
14. "We Humbly Ask" - Kermit
15. "Let's Talk About Me" - Nathan Pacheco
16. "The Answer Is No" - Kermit
17. "Are You A Man Or A Muppet?" - Amy Adams
18. "Man Or Muppet" - Jason Segel
19. "Down At The Ole Barbershop" - Kermit
20. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" - The Muppets Barbershop Quartet
21. "Princesses Of Poultry" - Kermit
22. "Forget You" - Camilla and the Chickens
23. "It's Time For Our Song" - Miss Piggy
24. "Rainbow Connection - The Muppets
25. "Get Out There And Help Those Guys" - Jason Segel
26. "The Whistling Caruso - Andrew Bird
27. "How Charming, A Finale" - Uncle Deadly
28. "Life's A Happy Song Finale - The Muppets
29. "Mary, Marry Me" - Amy Adams
30. "Mah Na Mah Na"