otrc logo
Christopher Nolan talks to OnTheRedCarpet.com about The Dark Knight Rises in a junket interview on July 7, 2012. - Provided courtesy of OTRC

'The Dark Knight Rises' director Christopher Nolan calls Colorado shooting 'devastating'

Get more: Movies
07/20/2012 by OnTheRedCarpet.com Staff

Christopher Nolan, the director of "The Dark Knight Rises," released a statement on July 20 regarding the shooting at a midnight screening of the film in Aurora, Colorado, in which a gunman killed at least 12 people and 59 people have been reported injured so far.

The 41-year-old director said in his statement, "Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of 'The Dark Knight Rises,' I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community."

"I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime," he added.

Nolan's statement continued, "The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."

The shooting suspect was arrested and identified as James Eagan Holmes, a 24-year-old University of Colorado medical school student.

Warner Bros. the studio behind the film, released a statement saying, "Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."

Following the shooting, the studio canceled its "Dark Knight Rises" premiere in Paris as well as media interviews that cast members such as Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway and Morgan Freeman were set to give in the French capital.

In a previous interview with OnTheRedCarpet.com, Nolan briefly spoke about the violence in the film and whether it was appropriate for a child underage to see the movie. "The Dark Knight Rises" is rated PG-13 in the United States.

"I would say that the violence that takes place is less-intense than the 'Dark Knight.' My kids have seen it, but they've seen a lot of what goes into it, so they may not be the perfect test case," Nolan, who is the father of four children, told OnTheRedCarpet.com in an interview on for "The Dark Knight Rises" earlier this month.

"I would say that the violence that takes place is less-intense than the 'Dark Knight.' My kids have seen it, but they've seen a lot of what goes into it, so they may not be the perfect test case," Nolan told OnTheRedCarpet.com in an interview on for "The Dark Knight Rises" earlier this month.

Warner Bros. pictures has also pulled TV spots promoting the film, according to Bloomberg News.

In the film, an escaped convict named Bane, played by Tom Hardy seeks to cause chaos in Gotham City and draw Batman out of exile after taking the blame for the death of Harvey Dent.

Anne Hathaway appears in the film as Selina Kyle, who is known as Catwoman in the comic books. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a Gotham City cop named John Blake and Marion Cotillard plays Miranda Tate, a board member of Wayne Enterprises who is eager to help a still-grieving Bruce Wayne, Batman's alter ego, resume his father's philanthropic endeavors for Gotham.

"The Dark Knight Rises" hit theaters on July 20.

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

Follow us on Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow us on GooglePlus

Sign up Stay Informed