'The Dark Knight Rises' box office reports delayed out of respect for Colorado shooting victims
The box office numbers for "The Dark Knight Rises" will not be known until Monday, July 23, out of respect for the victims of the shooting at a midnight showing of the film in Aurora, Colorado.
Warner Bros., the studio behind the film, announced late Friday, July 20, that they would not report the film's grosses until Monday, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
"Out of respect for the victims and their families, Warner Bros. Pictures will not be reporting box office numbers for 'The Dark Knight Rises' throughout the weekend. Box office numbers will be released on Monday," the studio said in a statement, according to the industry paper.
In a show of solidarity, other studios have followed suit, according to The Associated Press. Sony, Fox, Disney, Universal and Lionsgate said on Saturday, July 21, that they are joining Warner Bros. by also withholding their box office reports for the weekend.
Sony, Disney, Universal, Fox and Lionsgate said they would not be reporting numbers until Monday. Paramount didn't immediately say whether they were joining as well. Box office tracking service Rentrak said it would not report figures this weekend.
Box office reports for Friday and the weekend, which are usually released on Sundays, are routine for Hollywood and "The Dark Knight Rises" is expected to break several box office records. It might also contend with the record $207.4 million "The Avengers" brought in for its opening weekend earlier this year.
The shooting occurred on July 20 during a midnight screening of the film. A gunman killed at least 12 people and 59 people have been reported injured so far.
James Eagan Holmes, a 24-year-old University of Colorado medical school student, was arrested for the shootings.
On Saturday, July 21, authorities continued their work inside Holmes' apartment, which had been booby trapped with trip wire and explosives. Officials successfully disarmed the trip wire and the first explosive device in the apartment on Saturday morning.
Authorities said the trap was set to kill a person opening the door. Holmes lived on the third-floor of an apartment complex located four miles from the theater where the shooting took place. Other residents within the complex, as well as those in the surrounding homes, were evacuated on Friday, July 20, after Holmes' arrest.
Warner Bros. released a statement about the shooting on July 20 saying, "Warner Bros. and the filmmakers are deeply saddened to learn about this shocking incident. We extend our sincere sympathies to the families and loved ones of the victims at this tragic time."
The studio canceled the Friday night premiere of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Paris as well as other red carpet premieres in Mexico City and Tokyo.
Warner Bros. also pulled the trailer for "Gangster Squad" from theaters. The trailer features a scene where a shoot out takes place in a theater.
In addition, the studio pulled TV spots for "The Dark Knight Rises," according to Bloomberg News.
Christopher Nolan, the director of "The Dark Knight Rises," released a statement on July 20 and called the shooting "devastating."
"The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me," Nolan said. "Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families."
Several movie theater chains around the country have beefed up security measures in response to the tragedy. AMC Theaters, the country's second-largest movie chain, said it would not allow costumed fans or face-covered masks into its theaters.