Simon Cowell: 'I should have kept my mouth shut' about 'X Factor' expectations
Simon Cowell said he learned his lesson from the first season of "The X Factor," which delivered less than stellar ratings and fell short of the "American Idol" expectations.
The show averaged around 13 million viewers while "American Idol" recently premiered with 21.93 million viewers for their 11th season.
"I shot my big mouth off as usual," Cowell reportedly told journalists on February 22 during a conference call, according to Reuters. "I was coming off a massive year in the UK, where (the British version of 'X Factor') had gone over 20 million and then quickly realized I should have kept my mouth shut."
The show recently underwent a huge shake-up with judges Paula Abdul and Nicole Scherzinger getting the boot along with host Steve Jones.
Epic Records chairman L.A. Reid is the only original judge expected to return to the show other than Cowell for the show's second season.
"I absolutely expect the second season to do better than the first," he added. "I learned a lot from last year. I genuinely learned a lot, and I think we have learned how we can make the show better."
Despite promising to keep quiet about speculation, Cowell also said he wanted to have a man and woman host the show.
Simon Cowell had launched a U.S. version of the singing contest show last year, following the success of its British counterpart and after leaving his longtime job on "American Idol."
Melanie Amaro won the first season "The X Factor" and was awarded a $5 million cash prize - the largest in television history. She also won a recording contract and she also starred in a Pepsi commercial featuring Sir Elton John that premiered during the Super Bowl. Her album is due out later this spring.
It was announced in November that "The X Factor" was renewed for a second season on FOX. Auditions for the second season of "The X Factor" are set to kick off on March 14, in Kansas City, Missouri.