Sharon Osbourne's Beverly Hills home catches fire, she explains why on 'The Talk'
Sharon Osbourne offered a cautionary tale on January 17 to make sure people extinguish their candles before going to bed.
The 60-year-old's house caught fire on Thursday after she left a candle burning throughout the night. Osbourne spoke about the incident on "The Talk" the same day.
"Everybody is fine. There was only Ozzy, myself and the dogs last night and at 5 o'clock I heard a noise like metal had fallen and I thought it was my housekeeper coming in and she dropped her keys on the tile because that's what it sounded like," she said. "So I didn't pay any attention. A few minutes later I'm like, 'Ooh my eyes are stinging and my throat's closing up, something weird smelling in here.'"
"Then my dogs started to bark, so I go out of the bedroom, I go downstairs and the whole living room -- the candle had burst and the cracking sound was the glass in the candle exploding," she added. "So it was a very oily candle, very waxy and it had run all the way down the table and the side and the books were on fire."
She explained that her husband, rocker Ozzy Osbourne, recently had surgery on his hand, which was in a cast. Ozzy Osbourne joined Sharon Osbourne downstairs to try to help put the fire out.
"Then he [Ozzy Osbourne] opens the French doors, I go into the kitchen and get water and throw water on it. With the kitchen doors open and the water ... it erupted," Sharon Osbourne said.
She added that the fire burned off Ozzy Osbourne's hair and his eyebrows.
"We are like two idiots, it was like the three stooges. Everything you are not meant to do -- go to bed with candles lit, open the doors and put water on -- we did it all," she said. "And at 5 o'clock the firemen came and they were gorgeous."
"Please please check your candles before you go to bed,. she urged her viewers.
Osbourne also Tweeted on January 17, "I want to say Thank You to everyone at the Beverly Hills Fire Department for coming to our aid and taking such good care of us this morning."
During the conversation, co-host Sheryl Underwood said she thought she owed Osbourne an apology because she bought Osbourne a candle as a Secret Santa gift for Christmas. However, Osbourne clarified that it was not Underwood's candle that caused the fire, but one given to her by fellow "America's Got Talent" judge Howard Stern.