otrc logo

Rob Lowe can't replace Charlie Sheen on 'Two and a Half Men,' 'Parks and Recreation' producer says

03/09/2011 by Corinne Heller

Rob Lowe cannot replace Charlie Sheen on the CBS series "Two and a Half Men," as rumors suggest, because he is bound under contract to continue to star in "Parks and Recreation," a producer of the NBC show says.

Lowe's spokesperson had declined to comment on recent reports that said the 46-year-old actor and John Stamos were among the possible contenders to star in "Two and a Half Men"' after Sheen was fired earlier this week following erratic rants he made against its co-creator.

"He has a very long multi-year contract," "Parks and Recreation" producer Michael Schur said about Lowe at a recent PaleyFest 2011 event honoring his series."This was a case of someone tossing a name up in the air and then the Internet lit a match and set itself on fire."

Lowe, a former "bad boy" teen heartthrob and member of the "Brat Pack" in the 1980s, starred on shows such as "The West Wing" and "Brothers and Sisters" before he joined the cast of "Parks and Recreation," which stars Amy Poehler, in February.

Production on "Two and a Half Men" was suspended in January after Sheen, 45, underwent rehab for drug and alcohol addiction and halted in February after he insulted the show's co-creator during a radio interview. He later uncleashed a slew of rants, most erratic and some profanity-laced, on television and through video webcasts.

Sheen had said in interviews last week that he is currently sober. Warner Bros. Television said in its firing letter on Monday, March 7 that he has "been engaged in dangerously self-destructive conduct and appears to be very ill." Sheen called his firing "illegal." CBS and Warner Bros. have not announced what will happen with the show.

Lowe referenced one of Sheen's recent catchphrases and "Two and a Half Men" on his Twitter page earlier this week, saying: "Spring break with my family and (wait for it)... #WINNING !!!" and "On Spring break with the family, my Two Men are running me ragged! They just go, 24-7."

Stamos, a 47-year-old actor known for his roles on the shows "Full House," "ER" and recently, "Glee," said weeks ago that he was not replacing Sheen on "Two and a Half Men."

"I think they're both fabulous," Sheen told The 'Dan Patrick' radio show on Wednesday, March 9. "Rob's an old friend and a brilliant actor and he's a brilliant man. Would I would advise them to do is just make it their own. Don't think about what I'd done brilliantly on the show."

"I don't even know if they could call the guy 'Charlie' anymore," he added. "How does the show transition? Do they just do it without explaining it and hope people don't notice?"

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)
blog comments powered by Disqus