Rihanna's stage catches on fire during performance
Singer Rihanna had to brave a small fire on her concert stage during a tour stop in Dallas on Friday, July 8, which forced the singer to cut her show short, according to The Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
The newspaper reports the fire broke out when a "pyrotechnic element near a lighting truss" began to malfunction as Rihanna was finishing her performance of the ballad "California King Bed." The singer was reportedly descending below the stage for a costume change. The fire grew as sparks flew from the truss and scattered flaming debris on stage.
It was quickly extinguished but the show was canceled anyway. About 12,500 people were in the audience. A spokeswoman for the venue, the American Airlines Center, told the newspaper, "There were no injuries and the arena was evacuated in an orderly fashion."
Rihanna's show in Dallas was already set to be a shorter show after the singer was about an hour late taking the stage because her flight from New York to Dallas was delayed.
The singer later Tweeted about the incident saying, "DALLAS!!! We set the stage on FYAH tonight!!! LITERALLY!!!" She added in another Tweet, " Heading into a production meeting to find out exactly what happened!!! Keep u posted."
There has been no information on whether the Dallas show will be rescheduled.