otrc logo

Ricki Lake thanks fans for support after she and sons and dog survive house fire

09/20/2010 by Corinne Heller

Ricki Lake at a recent red carpet event (AP) Ricki Lake thanked fans for their support after a fire destroyed her rented Malibu beachfront home over the weekend and says she and her sons and dog are safe.

The fire began after Lake, who turns 42 on Tuesday, tried to refuel a portable heater, which ignited a couch. Lake and her sons Owen, 13, and Milo, 9, as well as their dog, escaped unharmed.

"Thank you everyone for your concern and well wishes," Lake wrote on her Twitter page. "My sons, beloved dog, and I are safe and very grateful."

Witnesses said flames rose 30 feet in the air as the house's attic and roof burned. The fire was put out within about half an hour.

Lake is known for her role in the original 1988 Hairspray film and hosted a talk show in the 1990s. She also hosted a VH1 reality series called Charm School with Ricki Lake in 2009. She and her son's father, Rob Sussman, divorced about six years ago.

See photos of Ricki Lake's burned home:

Photos of Ricki Lake's burned Malibu beach  house


Advertisement

Follow us on Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow us on GooglePlus

Sign up Stay Informed