'Regis & Kelly' update: Regis Philbin to leave in November
Regis Philbin has postponed his departure from the morning talk show "LIVE! with Regis & Kelly" from the end of the summer to November, OnTheRedCarpet.com has confirmed.
Meanwhile, U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama will make her first appearance on the show on February 9, ABC announced. She is set to discuss the Let's Move! campaign to fight childhood obesity, which will mark its first anniversary.
Philbin, 79, announced in January that he would leave the morning talk series after some 25 years. Disney-ABC Television Group had said at the time that it would in February name a new co-host to replace him on the program, which has seen three different co-hosts.
"There is a time that everything must come to an end for certain people on camera, especially certain old people," Philbin had said at the time. "This is going to happen at the end of the summer, into the fall, whatever it is, we don't know that yet but just so that you know."
Philbin took time off from "LIVE! with Regis and Kelly" last year to have a blood clot removed from his leg. He also had hip replacement surgery in December 2010 and triple heart bypass surgery in 2007.
Philbin began his television career in Los Angeles, working for KABC Television, OnTheRedCarpet.com's parent company. He moved to New York in 1983 and co-hosted "The Morning Show" with Cyndy Garvey on local station WABC Television. Garvey was replaced by Kathie Lee Gifford in 1985 and the show became nationally syndicated in 1988.
Gifford left the series in 2000 and Philbin co-hosted it with guests until Kelly Ripa joined the program full-time in 2001.
Philbin, a three-time Emmy Award winner who once hosted the ABC game show "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," was honored with a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences at the Daytime Emmy Awards in 2008.