Rebecca Black death threats under investigation, Anaheim police confirm
Rebecca Black, who rose to internet stardom when her music video "Friday" went viral on YouTube, has received death threats which led to an official police investigation.
The Anaheim police confirmed on Tuesday that they're investigating two death threats made against the aspiring singer last month, which stated that if her music wasn't taken off the Internet, they were "going to kill" the 13-year-old.
"In essence, the threats were related to getting the music off the Internet or they were going to kill her," police spokesman Sgt. Rick Martinez said, as reported by E! Online. "We can't validate how serious they are, but we do take it seriously."
One of the threats against Black was made through a phone call, while the other was emailed and Martinez confirms that the police force is "keeping an extra eye out" for Black as they would for anyone who received such threats.
"It's not the issue of being a celebrity," Martinez told LA Weekly. "Whenever there are criminal threats, that's against the law. She lives in our city and goes to school here, so we take it seriously."
A detective has been looking into the threats for several weeks, but the media and Martinez only caught wind of it on Friday, April 15.
"We're going to investigate and determine, number one, the source of the comments and then based on the investigation determine what intent was and where we go from here," Martinez said. "If we believe they were actually intended as threats we will work toward prosecution."
In March, Black signed with music manager Debra Baum who told E! Online that they planned on recording a full-length album "very soon."
Black has been extremely good-natured about all the criticism she's received over her viral YouTube video, which at press time had over 111 million views.
In March, Black visited "The Tonight Show With Jay Leno" and told the talk show host that she plans on donating proceeds for the song, which is currently no. 75 on the iTunes charts, to Japan and to her school.
Since its release, the video has been deemed "the worst music video ever" by some and others have jumped to Black's rescue, including Ryan Seacrest, Simon Cowell, Nicole Ritchie, Joel Madden and Willow Smith. On "Good Morning America," she defended her singing skills, saying, "I think I have talent on some level, I don't think I'm the worst singer, but I don't think I'm the best singer."
The song was produced by the independent Los Angeles-based company called Ark Music Factory. People magazine reports that for a fee, the company will produce a pop song and video for teenage girls who "want to get discovered."