Philip Seymour Hoffman died of accidental overdose of heroin, other drugs
Philip Seymour Hoffman died of an accidental overdose of heroin, cocaine and prescription medications, it was revealed on Friday, Feb. 28, more than three weeks after the Oscar winner, who has battled drug abuse, was found dead at age 46 in his New York city home.
The official cause of death was listed as "acute mixed drug intoxication including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine," the Office of Chief Medical Examiner in New York said, adding that it was deemed to be an accident.
The actor died on Feb. 2 in his New York City home, where investigators later found about 70 bags of heroin and various prescription medications. Police said his body was found in a bathroom and he had a hypodermic needle sticking out of his arm. Preliminary autopsy results were deemed to be inconclusive.
The actor reportedly underwent treatment for addictions to heroin and prescription drugs in 2013. In 2006, Hoffman had said on the CBS show "60 Minutes" that he battled addictions to drugs and alcohol when he was a teenager, went to rehab at age 22 and then became sober.
That year, Hoffman won an Oscar for his leading role in "Capote." He has also been nominated for Oscars for his roles in the movies "The Master", "Charlie Wilson's War" and "Doubt." The actor is also known for parts in "The Hunger Games" films, "The Big Lebowski" and "Almost Famous."
O'Donnell, their children and many celebrities, including "The Master" co-stars Amy Adams and Joaquin Phoenix, attended his funeral (see PHOTOS).