Paula Deen dropped by Food Network amid racial slur controversy
The Food Network says it will not renew Paula Deen's contract, which expires this month, after the celebrity chef, one of its biggest stars, admitted in a court deposition that she had used a racial slur in the past.
The 66-year-old self-proclaimed queen of Southern cooking was commenting on the record to answer to a $1.2 million racial and sexual discrimination lawsuit filed against her and her brother by a former employee of their restaurant in Savannah, Georgia. A transcript of the deposition was published recently and Deen posted several video apologies on YouTube on Friday afternoon. Hours later, the Food Network issued a statement to OTRC.com.
"Food Network will not renew Paula Deen's contract when it expires at the end of this month," it said.
A spokesperson declined to offer more details and did not specify whether or not the cable channel planned on airing remaining new episodes of her shows or reruns. The Food Network had previously said in a statement to OTRC.com on Thursday that the cable channel "does not tolerate any form of discrimination and is a strong proponent of diversity and inclusion," adding that would "continue to monitor the situation."
"I wanna apologize to everybody for the wrong that I've done," Deen said in one of her YouTube videos. "I want to learn and grow from this. Inappropriate, hurtful language is totally, totally unacceptable. I've made plenty of mistakes along the way but I beg you, my children, my team, my fans, my partners, I beg for your forgiveness. Please forgive me for the mistakes that I've made."
Do you forgive Paula Deen for using a racial slur? Vote in our poll below.