otrc logo
In this file photo, Dr. Conrad Murray arrives at his clinic in Houston on Nov. 23, 2009. - Provided courtesy of AP / Pat Sullivan

Michael Jackson's doctor Conrad Murray pleads not guilty in singer's death

Get more: Michael Jackson
01/25/2011 by Corinne Heller

Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's personal doctor, pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to a charge of involuntary manslaughter in the death of the King of Pop and a judge has scheduled his trial to begin in March.

Jackson died at age 50 on June 25, 2009 in his Los Angeles home from an overdose of the anesthetic propofol and two other sedatives that were prescribed and administered by Murray. His death was classified as a homicide.

"Your honor, I am an innocent man," Murray told Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor, according to the Associated Press. "I definitely plead not guilty."

The judge scheduled Murray's trial to begin March 28 and set a pretrial hearing for February 7, the news wire said.

During a preliminary hearing attended by 22 witnesses, prosecutors presented evidence that they say will prove Murray's gross negligence killed Jackson. Murray waited up to an hour to call 911 after realizing Jackson had stopped breathing and did not tell paramedics that that singer had been given propofol, according to testimony.

Murray has said he gave the singer a low dose of propofol after spending 10 trying to get him to sleep using other medications. He said that he left the room for two minutes to use the restroom and then found that Jackson was not breathing.

Murray's license has been suspended and he could have it revoked and be sentenced to a maximum of four years in prison if convicted.

"I think our case is really solid," the Associated Press quoted defense attorney J. Michael Flanagan as saying. "We were very pleased with the way the evidence went at the preliminary hearing... This should result in an acquittal."

blog comments powered by Disqus