Meat Loaf concert postponed due to illness, band members affected
Rocker Meat Loaf has postponed a concert in Nottingham, England, a stop on his farewell "Last At Bat" tour, due to what was described as "medical reasons afflicting several members of the band."
The news was announced on the 65-year-old American Grammy winner's Facebook page on Sunday, April 14.
"We are very sorry to announce that tonight's performance has had to be postponed due to medical reasons afflicting several members of the band," the message said. "Meat and everyone in the band and crew send love and apologies and thanks you for understanding."
No further details were released. Meat Loaf himself has not commented. On Monday morning, he Tweeted one message: "I WANT MA FRAGGLE!!!!"
A spokesman for the singer told the Reuters news wire that he expected Meat Loaf would be back on stage in Manchester on Wednesday.
On April 5, Meat Loaf, who is known for theatrical rock anthems such as "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" and "I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) as well as the hit 1977 album "Bat Out of Hell," embarked on the "Last At Bat" tour in the UK in order to "to bid a final goodbye to his fans. His Sunday concert at Nottingham Capital FM Arena was the fifth stop and was postponed to May 20.
Meat Loaf, whose real name is Marvin Lee Aday, has battled several health problems over the past decade. Here are five examples:
- 1. Nov. 19, 2012 - Meat Loaf undergoes knee replacement surgery.
2. Feb. 29, 2012 - Meat Loaf cancels a live appearance on the UK talk show "Loose Women" after becoming ill. The program's host informs the viewers but offers no further details.
3. July 28, 2011 - Meat Loaf collapses on stage at a concert in Pittsburgh. He later attributes it to his asthma and resumes his performance.
4. Nov. 6, 2007 - Meat Loaf cancels part of a European tour after being diagnosed with a vocal cord cyst.
5. Nov. 17, 2003 - Meat Loaf collapses while performing at London's Wembley Arena and is hospitalized for a viral infection and exhaustion. Tests later reveal he has a condition that causes an irregular heartbeat, prompting doctors to perform heart surgery.