Maksim Chmerkovskiy talks 'Dancing With The Stars' outburst
Hope Solo and Maksim Chmerkovskiy might have danced to "Seasons of Love" from the musical "Rent" on Monday's episode of "Dancing With The Stars," but Maks and head judge Len Goodman had some less-than-loving words for each other.
"Hope, I've never lost faith in you," Len said following their performance. "I always feel like there is so much there, and for some reason it hasn't come out... This is your worst dance of the season in my opinion."
Chmerkovskiy made it known that he was unhappy with the uneven feedback coming from the judge's table. Goodman started to respond, saying that he's been in the business for 50-years, to which Maks retorted, "Maybe it's time to get out." Tom Bergeron stepped in to tell the professional dancer to be respectful.
Backstage with host Brooke Charvet, Chmerkovskiy said, "With all due respect, this is my show. I help make it what it is." The pair earned a mediocre 20 out of 30 points.
"I've had it. I've had it a long time ago. I just kind of kept it cool but, look, she doesn't deserve it. That's all it is," Chmerkovskiy told OnTheRedCarpet.com backstage after the show, before joking, "Look, whatever helps the ratings. You're welcome show!"
The 31-year-old professional dancer has appeared on "Dancing With The Stars" since season two. The dancing competition is currently in its 13th season and Chmerkovskiy felt that some contestants have been booted off the series too early.
"I want them to be on the same page with everybody. What I've had of, I've had enough of being kind of separated -- Why isn't Carson (Kressley) here? Why no Kristin (Cavallari? Why did it happen to Sabrina Bryan?" Chmerkovskiy asked, referring to stars who he felt were booted too soon. "They were told that you should be better. You look like you should be better and then there were others that could barely walk and they were told, 'Well, you know what? I love your effort. I love your dedication. You really want to be here. I'm rooting for you.' A judge is supposed to judge."
Several of the other stars and dancing professionals also chimed in on Chmerkovskiy's outburst, on differing sides of the debate.
"Truthfully and honestly, I don't [agree with what Maksim did] because, you know, we're seasoned professionals. We've been on the show a long time and we know kind of know what to expect," Derek Hough, who is partnered with Ricki Lake told OnTheRedCarpet.com. "We know the ins and outs. I think that to disrespect them, I think, is a little crossing the line."
Professional dancer Lacey Schwimmer, who is partnered with Chaz Bono had a different perspective, telling OnTheRedCarpet.com, "Generally speaking, Maks has the courage to say a lot of what a lot of the people on the show don't have the courage to say. So, good for him."
"One of the hardest things I had to learn was when I appeared in front of judges for 10 years, was whether you agree with them or disagree with them, they are the judge," Nancy Grace said. "I found, in my life, that sometimes you have to be just as strong to fight back as to hold your tongue. It's a very very fine line and Maks did what he thought he had to do."
David Arquette saw the bright side of the situation, telling OnTheRedCarpet.com, "The other thing is, a little drama's good in the reality."
On the plus side, Solo has begun to embrace her sexier side after Maks brought in three female members from the reality dancing competition's professional dancing troupe to help show the professional soccer player how to let it out.
"There was a turning point for Maks and I and for me last week and, you know, I finally enjoyed it. I relaxed," Solo told OnTheRedCarpet.com. "I was able to let loose and I just hope it continues." Last week, Solo and Chmerkovskiy, 31, received a score of 24 out of 30 from the judges for their Tango in week 5, which carried a 1980s theme. The pair earned a score that secured them a spot right in the middle of the competition.
The seven remaining pairs will return on Tuesday, October 25 for an elimination episode where the sixth couple is expected to be sent packing.
Reporting by George Pennacchio of KABC Television, parent company of OnTheRedCarpet.com that also produces the entertainment show "On The Red Carpet"(check for local TV listings).