'Mad Men's final season 7 split in two, extended to 2015
"Mad Men" is set to begin its seventh and final season next year but viewers will be able to watch Don Draper experience even more angst in 2015.
Cable channel AMC announced on Tuesday, Sept. 17, that season 7 of the popular 1960s-themed series, which stars Jon Hamm as a troubled and charismatic New York City ad executive, will be broadcast in two parts -- in spring of 2014 and spring of 2015. Show creator and executive producer Matthew Weiner had said in 2011 that "Mad Men" would end after three more seasons.
We plan to take advantage of this chance to have a more elaborate story told in two parts, which can resonate a little bit longer in the minds of our audience," he said in AMC's statement, obtained by OTRC.com. "The writers, cast and other artists welcome this unique manner of ending this unique experience."
In addition, an extra episode was added to the seventh season, bringing the total number of to 14. Each half of the season will contain seven episodes.
The method of splitting up a show's final season has proven to be successful for "Breaking Bad," another one of the network's hit shows that has been given high ratings. Its final season began airing in 2012 and resumed earlier this year. The finale is on Sept. 29.
"Mad Men" has won 15 Emmys since it debuted in 2007. This year, it was nominated for 12 and lost eight at the preliminary Creative Arts Emmy Awards on Sunday. The Primetime Emmy Awards take place this Sunday, Sept. 22. The "Mad Men" actors who are nominated for regular roles are Hamm, who has received a nod six times, Christina Hendricks and Elisabeth Moss, who play Draper's colleagues.