MC Hammer's charges dropped? Rapper Tweets update on arrest
MC Hammer took to his official Twitter account on Friday, March 8, and told his followers that the charges stemming from his February arrest were dropped.
"Thank You to all my friends and supporters. All CHARGES DECLINED. Dropped. Have A great Weekend," he wrote with a link to his song called "No Beef."
The 50-year-old rapper was arrested on February 21 at a shopping center in Dublin, California, on suspicion of resisting an officer and obstructing an officer in the performance of his duties.
A spokesperson for the police department told CNN at the time that Hammer was in a car with an expired registration and he was not the registered owner of the car. The spokesperson also said that the musician refused to cooperate with police.
Dublin police did not respond for a comment on the Tweet when called by KGO Television, the sister station of KABC, OTRC.com's parent company.
In a series of Tweets about the incident last month, Hammer claimed the officer asked him "Are you on parole or probation" after approaching the vehicle. He also wrote that the officer tried to "pull me out the car but forgot he was on a steady donut diet."
Hammer, whose real name is Stanley Burrell, called the incident a "teachable moment" and said it was an "'eye opener' for my many friends & colleagues."
The rapper rose to fame during the late '80s and early '90s for hits like "U Can't Touch This" and "2 Legit 2 Quit." He recently performed with "Gangnam Style" rapper PSY for the 40th American Music Awards in November and during "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest" in December. The two sang a mash-up for PSY's YouTube hit and "Too Legit to Quit."