otrc logo
Kevin Bacon appears as Sebastian Shaw in X-Men: First Class, set to hit theaters on June 3, 2011. - Provided courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation / Marvel Enterprises

Kevin Bacon talks losing money in Madoff Ponzi scheme, will continue acting

Get more: Kevin Bacon, Movies
05/31/2011 by Corinne Heller

Kevin Bacon touts his and actress-wife Kyra Sedgwick's ability to rebound from the massive financial losses they suffered as a result of Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme and says that he is looking forward to making more movies.

Bacon, 52, plays the villain Sebastian Shaw in "X-Men: First Class," the latest film adaptation of the Marvel comic book series. The movie also stars Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique and January Jones of "Mad Men" as Emma Frost.

In 2009, Madoff, 73, began serving a 150-year prison sentence for running the $50 billion dollar scam, which marks the biggest investment fraud in U.S. history. Bacon and Sedgwick were among scores of customers who were swindled.

"I'm not going to say it didn't have its emotional downsides," Bacon recently told Details magazine regarding the Madoff scandal, in an interview to promote the film. "But we're both young, and we both had the ability to work and roll up our sleeves and start putting the pieces back together. The truth is that we went through it together."

Bacon told Howard Stern on his Sirius XM radio show last week that he lost "a lot of money" but did not reveal precise figures.

"It's fine," he said. "So you have a moment where you go, 'Holy (expletive), that was many, many years of work just went away in a poof of smoke.' And then you go, 'Hang on, we're okay. We're looking at each other, we got a nice apartment, our kids are healthy. There's other people who had it a lot worse. We can both work.'"

Bacon and Sedgwick, 45, married in 1988 and have starred together in films. They are parents to son Travis, 21, and daughter Sosie, 19.

Sedgwick won an Emmy last year for her role as cop Brenda Leigh Johnson on the TNT drama series "The Closer," which debuted in 2005 and has featured Bacon as a director. Its seventh and final season is set to air later this year. The actress had in December announced she was leaving the series.

"Her show is doing great," Bacon said. "She's on her last year. Actually, thank God for that show. Thank. God. Without that, it was just me trying to pull us back, it would've been tough. You got there once, you can get there again. That's how I feel."

"There's no part of me that wants to lay back and kick back. I think most people, the idea of retirement - ultimately, what are you going to do, make birdhouses?" he said. "How long can you be on a beach? I'm looking forward to working. I want to keep working."

Bacon echoed his comments in his interview with Details, saying: "While I try to have integrity about the work that I do and the choices I make, I've also said from a very young age that I need to work. I don't think I suffer from the disease of specialness."

"X-Men: First Class" is set for release on June 3 and is set in the 1960s during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Bacon rose to fame with the 1984 musical movie "Footloose" and went on to star in films such as "Apollo 13," "Sleepers" and "Wild Things." His acting career has spurred a "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" trivia game and he spoofed himself in a commercial promoting Logitech Revue, a gadget that allows viewers to watch Google TV. He played a nerdy Kevin Bacon fan.

Check out the trailer for "X-Men: First Class" below.

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

Follow us on Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow us on GooglePlus

Sign up Stay Informed