Kendra Wilkinson quits 'Splash,' says joining ABC show was 'big mistake' (Video)
Kendra Wilkinson says it was a "big mistake" signing on to star in "Splash," citing hateful messages she received after Tuesday's episode, which saw her quit the ABC diving competition show after failing to complete a dive.
The 27-year-old, who has a fear of heights, added that she had planned on leaving the series even earlier.
On Tuesday's episode, Wilkinson, a former girlfriend of Playboy's Hugh Hefner who stars with her husband and son on her own E! reality show, was seen refusing to complete a high dive from a 23-foot platform with fellow contestant and extreme skier Rory Bushfield. The celebrity competitors had been paired up and were told to complete dives together.
When Bushfield and Wilkinson reached the top of the platform, she backed away and said: "I'm so sorry, everybody," adding later that this marked the first time she had quit anything, which will "haunt" her for the rest of her life.
While many people posted supportive Tweets after the show aired, some criticized Wilkinson's decision.
"Damn I got a lot of hate tonight but ill take it," she Twitter on Tuesday night, after the episode aired. "Big mistake signing up for the show. Sorry I let you all down."
She added on Wednesday, April 3, that she did receive some positive messages as well, saying: "Thank u to all those who supported me last night. Means a lot you stuck by my side. Today's a new day and I'm still proud. #Shutuphaters."
"I have no disappointment in myself. I did what I could n that was that. Diving is just not my thing n I found that out throughout the show (sic)," she Tweeted. "I was supposed to quit with last weeks dive but I didn't and did it. Felt amazing and it was a huge accomplishment to me and my family."
Wilkinson is the second contestant to withdraw voluntarily from "Splash" and also the second E! celebrity to do so -- Chuy Bravo, who appears on the cable network's talk show "Chelsea Lately," quit "Splash" in a previous episode after suffering a fractured heel. He was replaced by soccer player Brandi Chastain.
"Splash" debuted on ABC on March 19. The list of the 7 remaining contestants is as follows:
- 1. Rory Bushfield (extreme skier)
2. Brandi Chastain (soccer player)
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (retired NBA star and top all-time points leader, incognito co-pilot in "Airplane!")
4. Drake Bell (of Nickelodeon's "Drake & Josh")
5. Nicole Eggert (played Summer on "Baywatch," Jamie on "Charles in Charge")
6. Katherine Webb (Miss Alabama USA 2012, was shown on ESPN's audience cam and praised by commentator over her looks while cheering on boyfriend and University of Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron during the 2013 BCS National Championship Game - see 7 facts about Katherine Webb)
7. Louie Anderson (Former "Family Feud" host, comedian and motivated McDowells's employee in "Coming To America.")
Watch Tuesday night's episode of "Splash" below.