Katie Couric: I'm leaving CBS' 'Evening News'
Katie Couric says she is leaving the "CBS Evening News" after serving as its anchor for almost five years.
It has been reported for weeks that the newswoman may leave the show, which has been trailing in the ratings.
"I have decided to step down from the 'CBS Evening News,'" Couric, 54, told People magazine in an interview posted on Tuesday, April 26.
"I'm really proud of the talented team on the 'CBS Evening News' and the award-winning work we've been able to do in the past five years in addition to the reporting I've done for '60 Minutes' and 'CBS Sunday Morning,'" she added." In making the decision to move on, I know the 'Evening News' will be in great hands, but I am excited about the future."
CBS spokespeople had no immediate comment. Couric's contract with CBS ends on June 4. She did not specify her departure date.
Couric had said earlier this month that she hasn't ruled out staying at the "CBS Evening News" or launching her own syndicated talk show in 2012, as was rumored earlier in the month.
People quoted Couric as saying she is now "looking at a format that will allow me to engage in more multi-dimensional storytelling," adding that details regarding a new show are "still being discussed."
Couric joined the "CBS Evening News" in September 2006, becoming the first woman to anchor a network television evening newscast by herself. Before that, she served as a host on the "Today" show, beginning in 1991.
Couric is set to anchor CBS' coverage in London of the royal wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton on Friday, April 29.
The New York Times said CBS will announce her successor during the first week of May and that Scott Pelley, a correspondent on CBS' "60 Minutes," is expected to replace her. CBS has not confirmed this.