otrc logo
Juan Pablo Galavis appears in an interview with OTRC.com on Jan. 7, 2014. - Provided courtesy of OTRC

Juan Pablo Galavis apologizes for comments about gays on 'The Bachelor'

Get more: 'The Bachelor', TV
01/18/2014 by Joseph Apodaca

Juan Pablo Galavis is stirring controversy for remarks he made at ABC's Television Critics Association winter press tour party, where he said he thinks having an openly gay or bisexual on "The Bachelor" would not be "a good example for kids to watch" on TV - remarks he later apologized for on Facebook.

Galavis was asked by a reporter on Friday, Jan. 17, if he thought it would be a good idea at some point to have a gay or bisexual "Bachelor" participate on the popular dating show.

Galavis responded "no" and further elaborated as to why he was against the idea. The full audio of the question, which was first reported by TheTVPage.com, can be heard here.

"I respect them, but honestly, I don't think it is a good example for kids to watch that on TV," Galavis said. "The Bachelor" star went on to say that he respects gay people, including a gay producer who was by his side at the time, but commented further that the dynamic of two gay individuals raising a family was hard for him to understand.

Galavis concluded his thoughts by saying that gay people are too "pervert" - which is defined as a person whose sexual behavior is regarded as abnormal and unacceptable - to participate on "The Bachelor" because they would make the show "too hard to watch on TV."

"And there's this thing about gay people that, it seems to me, you know, and I don't know if I'm mistaken or not...I have a lot of friends like that, but they're more 'pervert' in a sense, and to me the show would be too strong, too hard to watch on TV."

ABC, Juan Pablo both release statements following comments.

ABC released a statement on Saturday, Jan. 18 following Galavis' comments, saying, "Juan Pablo's comments were careless, thoughtless and insensitive, and in no way reflect the views of the network, the show's producers or studio."

Galavis released his own statement following the network's on his official Facebook page, saying, "I want to apologize to all the people I may have offended because of my comments on having a Gay or Bisexual Bachelor. The comment was taken out of context. If you listen to the entire interview, there's nothing but respect for Gay people and their families."

He continued: "I have many gay friends and one of my closest friends who's like a brother has been a constant in my life especially during the past 5 months. The word pervert was not what I meant to say and I am very sorry about it. Everyone knows English is my second language and my vocabulary is not as broad as it is in Spanish and, because of this, sometimes I use the wrong words to express myself."

"What I meant to say was that gay people are more affectionate and intense and for a segment of the TV audience this would be too racy to accept. The show is very racy as it is and I don't let my 5 year old daughter watch it. Once again, I'm sorry for how my words were taken. I would never disrespect anyone."

Galavis spoke to OTRC.com earlier this month, where he said he probably wouldn't do "The Bachelor" again.

Do you think Juan Pablo Galavis' comments about having a gay or bisexual on "The Bachelor" were insensitive or misinterpreted? Let us know in our poll below.

(NOTE: OTRC.com, parent firm KABC Television and the ABC Television Network are owned by the Walt Disney Company.)

(Copyright ©2014 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement