Jon Cryer says he's 'jazzed' to work with Ashton Kutcher on 'Men' - Will you watch? (Poll)
After CBS announced that Ashton Kutcher was officially cast to replace Charlie Sheen in "Two and a Half Men," Sheen's co-star Jon Cryer spoke out in support of the new casting.
"I'm jazzed about the news this morning that Two and a Half Men is coming back!" Cryer told E! News in a statement. "For all the rest of the cast and crew I'm sure they are equally excited."
Sheen, 45, was fired from the network's No. 1 comedy earlier this year after ranting about the show's co-creator Chuck Lorre on the air and following a rehab stint for alcohol and drug abuse. Producers said the actors had "been engaged in dangerously self-destructive conduct and appears to be very ill."
The actor had played party-loving bachelor who lives with his brother and nephew. CBS did not detail what role Kutcher will play. Production on the ninth season of the "Two and a Half Men" will begin this summer and air in the fall, the network said.
"I want to express my enormous gratitude to Charlie Sheen for eight great seasons," Cryer said. "I'm extremely proud of the work we've done together, and I will miss him. But I'm also looking forward to this new beginning."
As for his new co-star, Cryer says, "Ashton is an extraordinarily talented guy, and his presence will be an asset to our show We are old friends from our male modeling days, and we're both looking forward to being judged for our comedic artistry, as opposed to our exceptional physical beauty."
Sheen had mixed reactions to Kutcher's casting first telling People magazine, "Ashton Kutcher is a sweetheart and a brilliant comedic performer. Oh wait, so am I!! Enjoy the show America, Enjoy seeing 2.0 in the demo every Monday, WB. Enjoy planet Chuck, Ashton. There is no air, laughter, loyalty, or love there."
However, he Tweeted to Kutcher late Friday saying, "#Winning Congrats to the cast and crew...CBS & WB..! My best to @aplusk !! The show must go on... You got the right guy! C"
Shortly after, Kutcher responded to Sheen's Tweet, saying, "#2.5 @charliesheen Thank man. Always been a fan, always will be! BTW you were 'born big.'"
It was revealed this week that Hugh Grant was in serious talks for the role but unexpectedly backed out.
In March, it was announced that Lowe could not take over the role as he is bound under contract to continue to star in "Parks and Recreation." Stamos also denied he would replace Sheen at the time.
Despite insinuating that he wants his job back and claiming that he was in talks to return to the show, Sheen endorsed his possible replacements back in March.