Johnny Depp album, sequel to 'Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs,' features many stars
Johnny Depp is releasing an album consisting of "sea shanties," or maritime-themed songs, which features vocals from film stars Tim Robbins and Anjelica Huston and singers Courtney Love, Michael Stipe, Susanna Hoffs from the Bangles, Iggy Pop and Macy Gray.
The record is set for release on Feb. 19, 2013. It is called "Son of Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys" and is the sequel to a similar 2006 album. The new album also includes a track with Tom Waits and Rolling Stone bassist Keith Richards, who played the father of the actor's iconic "Pirates of the Caribbean" character, Captain Jack Sparrow, in Disney's hit film series.
Depp co-produced the new two-disc compilation with Gore Verbinski, who directed the actor in the first three "Pirates of the Caribbean" films as well as in "Rango" and the new Disney film "The Lone Ranger," and original producer Hal Willner, record label Anti-Records said in a statement obtained by OTRC.com.
Depp, a guitarist, is also featured himself as a performer on two tracks -- a cover of a 127-year-old song called "Leaving of Liverpool," which is sung by Shane MacGowan, and the song "The Mermaid," which is sung by Patti Smith.
"It is a very different record than Volume 1," Willner told Rolling Stone, which features a clip of "Leaving of Liverpool," regarding the sequel. "It seems happier - not as much about torture, sodomy and death."
Depp was a musician before he became an actor and once co-owned Los Angeles' legendary rock club The Viper Room. He sometimes performs on stage with Aerosmith and shock rocker Alice Cooper
Depp showcased his singing skills in the 2007 film "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" and is featured on its music soundtrack. He and shock rocker Marilyn Manson also recorded a heavy metal version of Carly Simon's 1972 hit "You're So Vain," which is featured on the shock rocker's album "Born Villain," which was released in May.
Huston showcased her musical talent on NBC's musical drama series "Smash." Fellow Oscar winner Robbins, known for his roles in films such as "The Shawshank Redemption" and "Mystic River," has been writing and performing folk rock songs for years and has toured with his band. He has also performed on stage at Pearl Jam concerts.
Check out the track listing for "Son of Rogues Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs and Chanteys":
1. "Leaving of Liverpool" - Shane MacGowan w/Johnny Depp & Gore Verbinski
1. "Sam's Gone Away - Robyn Hitchcock
3. "River Come Down" - Beth Orton
4. "Row Bullies Row" - Sean Lennon w/Jack S---
5. "Shenandoah" - Tom Waits w/ Keith Richards
6." Mr. Stormalong" - Ivan Neville
7. "A------ Rules the Navy" - Iggy Pop w/ A Hawk and a Hacksaw
8. "Off to Sea Once More" - Macy Gray
9. "The Ol' OG" - Ed Harcourt
10. "Pirate Jenny" - Shilpa Ray w/ Nick Cave & Warren Ellis
11. "The Mermaid" - Patti Smith & Johnny Depp
12. "Anthem for Old Souls" - Chuck E. Weiss
13. "Orange Claw Hammer" - Ed Pastorini
14. "Sweet and Low" - The Americans
15. "Ye Mariners All" - Robin Holcomb & Jessica Kenny
16. "Tom's Gone to Hilo" - Gavin Friday & Shannon McNally
17. "Bear Away" - Kenny Wollesen & The Himalayas Marching Band
1. "Handsome Cabin Boy - Frank Zappa & the Mothers of Invention (originally featured on the late singer's 1998 compilation album "Mystery Disc")
2. "Rio Grande - Michael Stipe & Courtney Love
3. "Ship in Distress - Marc Almond
4. "In Lure of the Tropics - Dr. John
5. "Rolling Down to Old Maui" - Todd Rundgren
6. "Jack Tar on Shore" - Dan Zanes w/ Broken Social Scene
7. "Sally Racket (Sissy Bounce)" - Katey Red & Big Freedia) with Akron/ Family
8. "Wild Goose" - Broken Social Scene
9. "Flandyke Shore - Marianne Faithfull w/ Kate & Anna McGarrigle
10. "The Chantey of Noah and his Ark (Old School Song)" - Ricky Jay
11. "Whiskey Johnny" - Michael Gira
12. "Sunshine Life for Me" - Petra Haden w/ Lenny Pickett
13. "Row the Boat Child" - Jenni Muldaur
14. "General Taylor" - Richard Thompson w/Jack S---
15. "Marianne" - Tim Robbins w/ Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs
16. "Barnacle Bill the Sailor" - Kembra Phaler w/ Antony/Joseph Arthur/Foetus
17. "Missus McGraw" - Angelica Huston w/ The Weisberg Strings
18. "The Dreadnought" - Iggy Pop & Elegant Too
19. "Then Said the Captain to Me (Two Poems of the Sea)" - Mary Margaret O'Hara