Jason Segel says he will not return for a sequel to 'The Muppets'
Jason Segel says he's happy to see the success of "The Muppets" after a long hiatus from the big screen, but he is not planning to write the follow-up film to his successful re-launch of the franchise.
Segel explained to The Hollywood Reporter that his co-writer of the film, Nicolas Stoller, and its director, James Bobin, are returning for the follow-up movie. "My goal was to bring back 'The Muppets,' and I feel like we did it," he told the trade paper. "I just felt like I did what I set out to do. I'm really happy that they're back to where they belong."
Segel, who also stars in "How I Met Your Mother," previously called the film a "labor of love" and has been a life-long puppet fan and an amateur puppeteer since he was young. He co-wrote and starred in "The Muppets" and even introduced a new Muppet character named Walter in the movie. The film grossed $88 million at the box office.
Bret McKenzie won the Academy Award for Best Original Song on February 26 for the film's song "Man or Muppet."
When asked if he would act in the next film, Segel said, "It doesn't really make organic sense. Maybe I'll do something in the future but no, I'm just sort of happy to send my kids off into the world."
Up next for Segel is the film "Jeff Who Lives At Home" with "The Office" actor Ed Helms and Susan Sarandon. The movie hits theaters on March 16. He is also starring romantic comedy "The Five-Year Engagement," which also stars Emily Blunt. The film is due out on April 27.
Check out the videos for "Man or Muppet" and the trailer for "The Five-Year Engagement" below.