otrc logo
Daniel Radcliffe in the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows trailer. - Provided courtesy of Warner Bros.

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows' makes $24 million on opening night

11/19/2010 by Corinne Heller

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1", the next-to-last film in the hit fantasy series that stars Daniel Radcliffe as a teen wizard, has made more than $24 million since it was released on Friday, marking the largest opening yet for the franchise.

Thousands of fans across the United States lined up for hours to catch midnight screenings, with some of the some 3,700 venues showing the film in all of its movie theaters. The previous sixth movie, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince", last held the record for most successful opening night, having made $22.2 million on July 15, 2009.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1" will eventually be released at 4,125 locations, including some IMAX theaters.

The movie marks the first part of the final showdown between the teen wizard Harry Potter, played by Radcliffe, and his arch-nemesis, the evil Voldemort.

Rupert Grint says he and Emma Watson did not look forward to their onscreen kiss in "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1". Grint, 22, plays his friend Ron Weasley and Watson, 20, plays their mutual friend and Weasley's love interest, the brainy Hermione Granger. They had starred with Radcliffe, 21, in all the films since they were children, beginning with the first one in 2001

Watson, who plays his friend Hermione Grander, told OnTheRedCarpet.com she was surprised at how "bloody good" the latest film is, adding, "For me I was just blown away by the fact that we have managed to make it better again."

"It's intense from the minute it comes on, it's really dark, it's really scary, and it's just the most real and visceral and exciting one yet I think," Watson said. "The best thing I've heard people say is that it really makes them feel something. It's got a lot of heart, which is cool."

The second part of "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" will be released in both 2D and 3D formats on July 15, 2011.

last week. Its studio, Warner Bros said in a statement to OnTheRedCarpet.com that the leak was illegal and "constitutes a serious breach of copyright violation and theft of Warner Bros. property".

blog comments powered by Disqus
Advertisement

Follow us on Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Follow us on GooglePlus

Sign up Stay Informed