Charlie Sheen's sons taken away, Brooke Mueller claims domestic violence
Charlie Sheen has lost custody of his twin boys, Bob and Max, who were recently removed from his Los Angeles house early on Wedneday after his estranged wife, Brooke Mueller, filed a temporary restraining order against the actor, citing domestic violence and calling him "insane."
Sheen, 45, has denied her allegations. For the past week, he has been causing a media firestorm, making erratic rants against the producers of his CBS comedy show "Two and a Half Men." Filming was suspended in January after the actor began treatment for drug and alcohol addiction. The actor, who lives with two women, including a porn star, and is known for his partying ways, says he has not done drugs in recent days.
Mueller has been to rehab herself and admitted in court documents to falling "off the wagon" last week, but says she "sought assistance to maintain my sobriety."
She said Sheen took her sons from her on Saturday "in violation of our custody orders" and that on Sunday, he told her: "I will cut your head off, put it in a box and send it to your mom!" and threatened to "stab my eye with a pen knife and spit on my feet. He also punched me in the arm."
Sheen said Mueller's move to remove their children from his care blindsided him.
"It came out of the bleachers, actually," he told media outlets, including KABC Television, OnTheRedCarpet.com's parent company. "Yeah, I was told a restraining order was being delivered and I thought, 'OK, I can deal with that.' And it was revealed that it was something much more serious."
"It's just silly," he added. "I think she's latching on to some of this recent press."
"The bottom line is he would like to make this goes away amicably," Sheen's attorney said. "We aren't going to necessarily fight fire with fire but if we can't work something out amicably, that is the route we'll go."
Mueller's temporary restraining order against Sheen (see document) requires him to stay at least 100 yards away from her and their sons until the case is reviewed at a hearing on March 22. Mueller says in court documents than she was afraid "violence would reoccur" and that the actor would flee with the boys if she notified him of her intentions in advance.
"I am in great fear that he will find me and attack me and I am in great fear for the children's safety while in his care," she added.
Sheen said he is "hurting" about Mueller's move and had sent a message to his twin sons: "Bob, Max, it's your dada and I've never lied to you and this is another example of that. I will see you soon, you're in my heart and I love you."
In August 2010, Sheen pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault charge regarding a confrontation with Mueller that had occurred in December 2009. He was sentenced to 30 days in a rehabilitation center, 30 days of probation and 36 hours of anger management.
Mueller said she and Sheen told her last month had said he would continue to be sober following his latest rehab stint and that he would buy her a new house. She said she took him up on an offer to move with their children moved into his home temporarily, which she called a "big mistake." Sheen has not verified her comments.
"I am very concerned that (Sheen) is currently insane," Mueller says in the court documents.
She added that he had once told her that when he bought her a house, she would need to pay him $20,000 per month in cash from the child support he pays her - which amounts to more than twice that sum - "so he could have untraceable cash to 'knock off a few people' because 'the people I hate violently are going to get severely punished.'"
In November, the actor filed for divorce from Mueller.
Mueller said that she traveled with him and his live-in girlfriends to the Bahamas recently, during which she said the actor drank alcohol and said things such as "I'm untouchable! I'm Charlie Sheen! I'm more famous than Obama!" and told people on the plane ride there that he hated his second wife, actress Denise Richards, and was going to have her hair shaved off.
Mueller said she went on vacation with the actor because she was "afraid" she would "enrage" him if she refused his offer.
Sheen said all the media attention he had brought on himself in recent days was aimed at making sure the crew of "Two and a Half Men" was taken care of after producers pulled the plug on the sitcom last week due to the actor's off-set antics.
"I'm not going to stop until what I think needs to be delivered is delivered which is taking care of the crew for all eight [episodes], my cast and myself, and we'll talk about [season] nine and the adjustments that have to be made," said Sheen. "I lead with the truth and that's about it. The truth is unchangeable."
Warner Bros. has agreed to pay the "Two and a Half Men" crew for four of the eight canceled episodes. Sheen said that is a start, but he said he won't sleep until they get paid for all eight episodes. Sheen also said he's "clean, focused and ready to go back to work" for the show's ninth season.
When asked if he was shaken up by his kids being taken away, Sheen said he will not let emotions get in the way of fighting to get the boys back.
"On a battle field, it's emotion, ego and panic that get in your way. I profess that I don't live in those places and this is the time to exhibit and display the level of salt I have in my soul," Sheen said, adding that defeat was not an option.