Beyonce surprises fans with new, visual album, feat. Blue Ivy (Video)
Queen Bey continues to live up to her title.
Late on Thursday, Beyonce released a new, self-titled "visual album," which contains 14 songs that feature the likes of Drake,husband and hip hop producer Jay-Z and even their 1-year-old daughter Blue Ivy, as well as 17 videos filmed in places such as New York, Paris and Rio de Janeiro.
The 32-year-old pop and R&B queen had made no mention of "BEYONCE," her fifth studio album and the follow-up to the 2011 record "4," until its release. It was reported earlier this year that she was working on new music.
"Stripped of gimmicks, teasers and marketing campaigns, this project is truly about art before hype," record company Columbia Records said in a statement. "While not a concept album, the record is designed to be consumed as a comprehensive audio/visual piece from top to bottom. The antithesis of making singles, the visual album is a non-linear journey through the thoughts and visions of Beyonce."
The full record is available to download on iTunes. Listeners can buy tracks individually starting on Dec. 20, while the album will be released in other stores later in the month.
"I see music," Beyonce was quoted as saying in Columbia Records' statement, regarding her decision to create a visual album. "It's more than just what I hear. When I'm connected to something, I immediately see a visual or a series of images that are tied to a feeling or an emotion, a memory from my childhood, thoughts about life, my dreams or my fantasies. And they're all connected to the music."
The track listing for "BEYONCE" the album is as follows:
- 1. "Pretty Hurts"
3. "Drunk in Love" (feat. Jay Z)
5. "No Angel"
7. "Jealous" 8. "Rocket"
9. "Mine" (feat. Drake)
11. "***Flawless" (feat. Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche)
12. "Superpower" (feat. Frank Ocean)
14. "Blue" (feat. Blue Ivy)
List of Beyonce's 17 new videos:
- 1. "Pretty Hurts" - directed by Melina Matsoukas
2. "Haunted" - directed by Jonas Akerlund
3. "Drunk in Love" - directed by Hype Williams
4. "Blow" - directed by Hype Williams
5. "No Angel" - directed by @lilinternet
6. "Partition" - directed by Jake Nava
7. "Jealous" - directed by Beyonce, Francesco Carrozzini and Todd Tourso
8. "Rocket" - directed by Beyonce, Ed Burke and Bill Kirstein
9. "Mine" - directed by Pierre Debusschere
10. "XO" - directed by Terry Richardson
11. "***Flawless" - directed by Jake Nava
12. "Superpower" - directed by Jonas Akerlund
13. "Heaven - "directed by Beyonce and Todd Tourso
14. "Blue" - directed by Beyonce, Ed Burke and Bill Kirstein
BONUS VIDEO: "Yonce" - directed by Ricky Saiz
BONUS VIDEO: "Ghost" - directed by Pierre Debusschere
BONUS VIDEO: "Grown Woman" - directed by Jake Nava
You can watch a 30-second preview of Beyonce's video for "Blue," featuring daughter Blue Ivy, below, as well as a video posted on her Facebook page on Dec. 12, which is Part 1 of "Self-Titled," described as "a mini documentary feature that gives a glimpse into the entire project." You can watch more previews on Beyonce's official website. (Warning: Contains mature content)