Beyonce says she donated Gadhafi performance fees to Haiti
Beyonce says that she donated the money she received performing for Moammar Gadhafi's son to Haiti earthquake relief.
Beyonce made a statement on Wednesday that she donated the reported $1 million she received from performing on the island of St. Barts on New Year's Eve in 2009, when she found out the performance was linked to the Gadhafi clan.
"All monies paid to Beyoncé for her performance at a private party at Nikki Beach St. Barts on New Year's Eve 2009, including the commissions paid to her booking agency, were donated to the earthquake relief efforts for Haiti over a year ago," her publicist said, as reported by MTV.com. "Once it became known that the third-party promoter was linked to the Qaddafi family, the decision was made to put that payment to a good cause."
A spokesperson from the Clinton-Bush Haiti fund confirmed that they had received the $1 million check shortly after the disaster.
Several other musicians have also come under fire recently for accepting large amounts of money to perform for the Libyan dictator's clan.
Earlier in the week, Nelly Furtado tweeted that she received $1 million from the Gadhafi clan to perform in Italy in 2007 and plans to donate the money to charity.
"I am sincerely troubled to learn about the circumstances surrounding the Nikki Beach St. Bart's event that took place on New Year's Eve 2009," Usher said in a statement, as reported by ABC News. "I will be donating all of my personal proceeds from that event to various human rights organizations."
Mariah Carey also came forward and admit that she was "naive" for performing a 2008 New Year's party for Gadhafi's son and will donate proceeds from a song called her new song, "Save the Day" to human rights charities, reports entertainment site Showbiz 411.
Beyonce was recently criticized for wearing blackface in a fashion editorial spread.