'American Idol' winner Candice Glover backstage: 7 best quotes (Video)
The third time was the charm for Candice Glover, who won the 12th season of "American Idol" after being cut in earlier rounds of auditions during two previous seasons.
The a 23-year-old singer from South Carolina, who beat runner-up Kree Harrison of Texas, spoke to reporters after Thursday's finale of the FOX series, which featured celebrity guest performers Aretha Franklin, Jessie J, judge Mariah Carey and season 4 contestant and Oscar and Grammy winner Jennifer Hudson, who sang a duet of Natalie Cole's "Inseparable" with Glover.
Check out 7 best quotes from Candice Glover during her backstage press conference.
1. "I actually have some friends that decided not to come back and stuff like that but I always knew for some reason that it would happen if I kept going," Glover told reporters. "I even at some point said, 'You know, 'American Idol' obviously does not want me so why would I go back?' But I have found myself on the website, looking at auditions again and being determined and stuff and I just couldn't stay away because I knew if I kept trying, then it would happen."
2. "I was so nervous backstage. I was like, 'Oh my gosh, you cannot suck. This is Jennifer Hudson. Like, don't mess up. Like, practice, get it together. I'm just so glad I got a chance to even do that with her 'cause I look up to her."
3. "I'm going to try to go to sleep. I don't even think I'm going to get a chance to sleep tonight, but I'm going to try to sleep as much as I can -- probably eat some chicken or something."
4. "I don't remember [Ryan Seacrest] saying my name. I do remember confetti getting in my mouth while I was singing and stuff. I wanted to laugh but I was crying and it was just so much happening at the one moment but it felt great."
5. "I didn't even ... I couldn't understand that Aretha knew my name or knew who I was 'cause I really, I love her so much. Oh my gosh, that just felt great."
6. Nikki, she was like, 'Oh my gosh, you're a superstar. Can I hug you? Can I please hug you?' Like, 'cause she was like, 'Don't be a diva or whatever.' She was joking. She always says, 'Oh my gosh, can I hug the 'American Idol'? Everything I say that, I can't even .. what's happening?"
7. "I think I definitely learned how to be confident and how to be myself and be OK with how I am because in previous seasons I was doing what I thought America wanted or what the judges or whoever wanted but this year I just did whatever I wanted to do, hence why I would do a rapper's song on the show or why I would do The Cure when nobody expected me to. But like, in previous seasons I wouldn't have done any of that 'cause I wasn't comfortable in who I was but I think that's the difference between now and the other seasons."
Who do YOU think deserved to win "American Idol" - Candice Glover or Kree Harrison? Vote in our poll below.